Pharmacy Practice Residency
Thank you for your interest in the PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Program at Ascension Genesys Hospital. The PGY1 Residency at Ascension Genesys Hospital provides a guided, organized post-graduate training program that prepares its trainees through focused patient care experiences as well as longitudinal experiences in project management activities and student precepting. Our residency program aims to produce well-rounded pharmacy practitioners who are able to navigate the ever-changing pharmacy practice landscape and health care practice environment. The Genesys program will accept 2 residents annually to start their experience in July.
Ascension Genesys Hospital PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Program Purpose Statement
- PGY1 Program Purpose: PGY1 pharmacy residency programs build on pharmacy education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
- Upon completion of the residency program at Ascension Genesys Hospital, our residents will be experienced, confident, and patient-focused pharmacy practitioners who are able to serve a diverse array of patient populations. As members of the interdisciplinary health care team, our residents will be responsible for (1) ensuring safe, effective, and evidence-based medication therapies and (2) achieving optimal patient outcomes related to these therapies. They will exhibit professional integrity by establishing and following a personal philosophy of practice, utilizing self-assessment skills to monitor their individual performance, exhibiting commitment to the development of profession, and demonstrating leadership in improving the safety of the medication-use system and associated processes. Ultimately, residents of the Ascension Genesys Hospital program will become well-rounded pharmacy practitioners who will possess the knowledge and leadership skills necessary to drive the advancement of pharmacy practice within the inpatient setting.
Program Goals/Intended Outcomes of Residency Training at Ascension Genesys Hospital
The intended outcome of the residency program is to develop a pharmacy practitioner who:
- Promotes appropriate and evidence-based use of medications through the use of evaluative pharmacy skills
- Takes accountability of medication-related outcomes for their patients
- Effectively communicates to colleagues and within the health care team
- Proficiently educates a variety of audiences on medication-related topics
- Maintains a level of professionalism that represents our community-based hospital and Catholic health care ministry
Accreditation Status of the PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Program at Ascension Genesys Hospital
- After completing the initial accreditation survey in April 2018 by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), the PGY1 pharmacy practice residency program at Ascension Genesys Hospital achieved full accreditation for 8 years
- Receiving 8 years accreditation is the longest a program can be accredited for after completion of a survey, and full accreditation demonstrates alignment of the program at Ascension Genesys Hospital with the residency accreditation standards set forth by ASHP