Applying to the Program
Residency applications will be only be accepted and reviewed via ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service.) Applicants are encouraged to submit their completed applications when ERAS opens. This ensures prompt review of their applications and facilitates early correspondence and scheduling of interviews for selected candidates. We do not offer Observerships or Externships.
For the 2022 ERAS® cycle, our program will recommend that all applicants complete a supplemental ERAS application, offered through the AAMC’s ERAS program. Applicants also will be required to complete the MyERAS application.
The additional information collected will help our program staff learn more about applicants’ medical education journey, including more meaningful information about work, volunteer, and research experiences, and will help us better identify applicants who fit our program environment and mission.
Program Requirements for Internal Medicine:
- Complete ERAS application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- Recent Photograph
- Medical School transcripts (to be provided by your accredited medical school)
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) formerly known as the Dean’s Letter (to be provided by your medical school)
- Three letters of recommendation from supervising faculty
- COMLEX and/or USMLE transcripts (to be provided by National Boards)
- ECFMG Status Report (international graduates only, to be provided by ECFMG)
- A passing score on COMLEX/USMLE Step 1 is required
- A passing score on COMLEX/USMLE Step 2 is required prior to the end of the interview season
- We DO accept international graduates
- We are NOT able to sponsor or accept visas
- Candidates must be within two years of graduation from medical school
Candidates must recognize that physicians matriculating into the Ascension Genesys Hospital Internal Medicine Residency Program will be expected to:
- Satisfactorily complete all of their medical school’s requirements culminating in graduation from medical school in good standing
- Provide proof of graduation from medical school (diploma and final transcript with degree posted
- Have ECFMG certification (if applicable)
- Be eligible for a training license as a resident physician in the State of Michigan
- Must be able to assume all responsibilities of training by July 1. All appointees must report for orientation the last two weeks in June.