Our General Surgery residency is dually accredited by the AOA and ACGME. Applicants with accreditation status or application questions should contact the program.
Residency applications will be only be accepted and reviewed via ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service.) Applicants are encouraged to submit their completed applications when ERAS opens. This ensures prompt review of their applications and facilitates early correspondence and scheduling of interviews for selected candidates. We do not offer Observerships or Externships.
Program Requirements for General Surgery application:
- Complete ERAS application
- A passing score on COMLEX/USMLE Step 1 is required
- A passing score on COMLEX/USMLE Step 2 is required prior to the end of the interview season
- We DO accept international graduates
- We are NOT able to sponsor or accept visas
- Candidates must be within two years of graduation from medical school
Candidates must recognize that physicians matriculating into the Ascension Genesys General Surgery Residency Program will be expected to:
- Complete satisfactorily all of their medical school’s requirements culminating in graduation from medical school in good standing
- Provide proof of graduation from medical school (diploma and final transcript)
- Be eligible for a training license as a resident physician in the State of Michigan
- Have ECFMG certification (if applicable)
- Must be able to assume all responsibilities of training by July 1. All appointees must report for orientation the last two weeks in June.